A Thai restaurant favorite that is super easy to recreate at home.
This is one of our favorite dishes at Thai restaurants, but it doesn’t go far as an appetizer. So, here is a family portioned recipe for this delicious and easy meal! Buy extra coconut milk and cook some rice in it for a side dish. And don’t freak out about or skimp on the fish sauce!
I purchased chicken breast strips already sliced for stir fry to use for this, but you could slice regular chicken breasts into equal sized strips. Freezing the chicken for 15 to 30 minutes often makes slicing easier.
Combine the marinade ingredients and pour over chicken. Notice there isn’t salt or pepper in either the marinade or the dipping sauce. You will have perfect flavor with the fish sauce!
While chicken is marinating, prepare the peanut dipping sauce on the stovetop.
Soak wooden skewers for at least 30 minutes, then thread two strips of chicken onto each skewer.
Honestly, I’m not a big fan of using skewers. I just never see the point, but then I’m not about presentation either. However, since you are only dealing with chicken, and not a bunch of veggies like on kabobs, it’s pretty easy to thread the skewers and it does make it a cinch to flip while you grill/cook.
Prepare the grill by oiling the cooking grates and setting up for direct heat at 400 degrees. You can read more about my very awesome new Vision Grills Professional C-Series here.
Alternatively, set a grill pan and 2 tablespoons of oil over medium-heat on the stove.
Grill the chicken for 5 minutes on each side, using tongs to flip. You may need an extra minute or two per side if you chicken strips are thick.
Reheat the peanut dipping sauce, and serve with cucumber salad and some coconut rice!
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon yellow curry powder
- 1½ teaspoons white sugar
- 1½ teaspoons fish sauce
- ¾ teaspoon granulated garlic
- 2 pounds boneless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 10 wooden or metal skewers
- Peanut Dipping Sauce:
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- ¾ cup chicken broth
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 ¼ tablespoons yellow curry powder
- 1 ¼ tablespoons white sugar
- 1 ¼ tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 ¼ tablespoons lime juice (about ½ a large lime)
- Combine all marinade ingredients and pour over chicken strips. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Prepare the peanut dipping sauce:
- Combine all dipping sauce ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer, stirring often with a rubber spatula, and cook for 10 minutes or until thickened.
- Soak wooden skewers for 30 minutes.
- Thread two chicken strips onto each skewer.
- Oil cooking grates and preheat grill to 400 degrees F. OR for the stove, place a grill pan with 2 tablespoons of oil over medium-high heat.
- Grill chicken for 5 minutes per side, turning with tongs.
- Serve with warm peanut dipping sauce.
- 4 large cucumbers, peeled, halved and sliced thin
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 medium shallot, finely diced
- ½ cup seasoned rice wine vinegar
- ½ tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt, to taste
- Toss all ingredients and refrigerate until chilled