There’s no rule that says when life gives you lemons you should make lemonade. In fact, I would be more inclined to grab some salt and tequila. But, since it was only noon, I decided to make lunch.
I happened to have lemons, heavy cream and a half a pound of bacon. It’s amazing what these three ingredients can turn into if you have just a few minutes to whip it up.
Today I used orecchiette pasta, but use whatever you have on hand. Use more or less bacon, more or less lemon, add some minced garlic, or shrimp or chicken…the possibilities are endless.
- 1½ cups heavy cream
- Zest of 1 to 1½ lemons
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¾ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Fresh minced Italian parsley
- Table salt to taste
- ½ pound cooked bacon, crumbled
- 1 pound of pasta, cooked and drained
- In a medium saucepan over high heat, bring the heavy cream to almost boiling.
- Reduce heat to low, and add lemon zest and lemon juice. Stir constantly about 1 minute.
- Add the garlic powder, a pinch of salt and the parmesan cheese.
- Continue to stir for about 5 minutes.
- Pour sauce over pasta, toss in the crumbled bacon and adjust seasonings (salt and/or more lemon). Garnish with fresh parsley.
- Pass additional parmesan cheese on the side.