An Italian gyro, what? Of course there’s no such thing, but what am I supposed to call this? “Grilled chicken and salad stuffed in pita bread with more Italian stuff?”
So, I call it an Italian gyro simply because it has grapes and tomatoes and it’s going into pita pockets. Oh yes, and I serve it with cucumbers in sour cream.
Now while I love my outdoor Vision grill, I do use an indoor grill pan at times, and that’s what gives the chicken tenderloins the nice grill marks besides helping to keep the meat moist and tasty!
A few things to note:
- Be sure to remember to hold back about a ¼ cup of the marinade to drizzle on your stuffed sandwich.
- You also don’t need to use bread at all. Toss all the salad ingredients with the reserved marinade and serve the chicken warm or cold, inside or alongside!
- Depending on how big your
mouthpita pockets are, you can stuff some of the Sour Cream Cucumbers and Red Onions inside, too!
- 2 pounds chicken tenderloins
- 2 lemons, zested and juiced
- 3-4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Tomato slices
- Red seedless grapes, halved
- Chopped Romaine lettuce
- Whole wheat pita bread
- Season tenderloins with salt and pepper.
- Whisk together the lemon zest and juice, red wine vinegar, parsley, garlic and olive oil. Season marinade to taste with salt and pepper.
- Reserve ¼ cup of lemon vinegar marinade and pour the rest over the chicken.
- Refrigerate and marinate for 30 minutes to 2 hours.
- Preheat grill or grill pan over medium-high heat.
- Discard marinade.
- Cook chicken, in two batches if necessary to fit in the grill pan, 5-7 minutes each side, until internal temperature is 165 degrees.
- While chicken rests, grill pita slices a couple of minutes each side until warm.
- Stuff pitas with lettuce, tomatoes, grapes and chicken. Drizzle lightly with the reserved lemon vinegar mixture.
- Serve with Sour Cream Cucumbers and Red Onions.